My Beta Thoughts and Feedback (Lots of Text) (Destiny)

by Avateur @, Sunday, August 03, 2014, 16:38 (3573 days ago) @ Ragashingo

All the talk of skill, with almost everything that makes up a FPS being listed as requiring no skill made me wonder just what "skill" is supposed to be... In my experience, once "skill" gets involved in a conversation it becomes defined as "that thing the people who beat me don't have." That's what I felt here, at least in part. Maybe it's because Avateur's experience was so opposite to mine. I loved the slow pacing and firing rates Reach forced players to play by and was convinced that I'd dislike Destiny. By the end of the beta I was in love with the Crucible despite its faster pace.

I feel like I rarely lost, actually, and my K/D ratio was maybe negative once or twice. It's more that it felt too easy even for me to just romp all over people. I guess I was expecting more of a challenge in Crucible, and generally more challenge means more skill from my perspective. I also really enjoy Reach (it has its problems, too), and I'm very good at it, also.

Don't get me wrong, though. I really did enjoy the Crucible, and I look forward to going back into it. I absolutely loved that Venus map, and coordinating with my team is really fun.

One minor correction: In my experience the motion tracker didn't light up a different color for people above or below you. Rather the central circle would either light up fully if they were close and on your level, or it would only gain a thin red outer ring if they were above or below you.

Hm. Cody mentioned that before, and I just never noticed a difference regardless. I wasn't sure if it was just the center, or if it was the radar as a whole. I think it needs to be more apparent.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread