My Beta Thoughts and Feedback (Lots of Text) (Destiny)

by RC ⌂, UK, Sunday, August 03, 2014, 16:49 (3574 days ago) @ kapowaz
edited by RC, Sunday, August 03, 2014, 16:56

Shouldn't it be possible to do a quick look-up of players recent games during the matchmaking process and choose the map they haven't played much recently?

Of course, but it comes at the cost of greater queue times; inevitably the more criteria you use to select a group of players to put together in matchmaking, the longer it takes. Whether that time difference is insignificant or substantial is something only Bungie will know, but I'm sure they have some good test data from the beta though.

I meant after you've found the right players for a game.
Find players -> choose map -> load map -> start game

Maybe it is pipelined, but from the UI it appeared as though maps only loaded once you'd found all the players for a game. Yes, doing anything more complex than 'ChooseRandom(Maps[])' would have a performance impact but I would think it'd be pretty insignificant compared to other stages of the process.

Such a system would never be able to give a perfect experience to every player all the time, but it'd be able fix a lot of cases.

The simplest case would be where all 12 players you've found just happened to have played First Light last time, so choose Shores of Time instead.

It'd probably be a mistake to make recent map history a criteria for choosing other players - more than enough variables there already.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread