Preach! (Off-Topic)

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Tuesday, August 05, 2014, 07:36 (3554 days ago) @ kapowaz

which often meant doing work that wasn't interesting, wasn't sensible (you could point out the potential problems but ultimately the client might tell you to just do it anyway)

This is my everyday pretty much. I worked for about a year consulting for a corporate madhouse. I made pretty good money to go in everyday, do little work, get sidetracked by their incompetence, and repeat. It was pay, but after a few months of being there and making no headway, it became really grating. That's the gamble in consulting/contracting client can be good or shit, the project can be good or shit, but usually the pay is the same. (Except in the times where incompetence pays the bills, then you paid more to slowly lose your sanity and semblance.)

I'm not mad about any of it though, because getting the experience of working beside good developers and understanding the depth of ineptitude of some common corporate structures was well worth it. And I'm not quite at a level where I can dictate what work I will and won't do. Until then, I'll be your software trick, baby.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread