Fascinating read from Marty (Off-Topic)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, August 05, 2014, 10:46 (3553 days ago) @ Cody Miller

In the film industry I believe composers at least get, if not rights control

They don't. It's all work for hire.

The bottom line is that if you're writing something for someone else, it's going to be a work for hire situation. There's no way around it. Elfman's and Williams' efforts are work for hire. They may get a right to issue direct licenses, but ultimately the work is not owned by them.

I can't say this is true in every single situation, but I don't know of any counterexamples. I don't think you could even do that. Try to simply license your work to the producer, and the studio or network will simply require direct license of the performing rights be included in the licensing deal. That means you don't get royalties.

Soundtracks and scores are not like writing a Beatles record. A Beatles song is not meant to supplement another work. Mr. McCartney can write and self publish if he wishes. Marty can too, but then it's not in a game or movie.

What about "Live and Let Die"? That's the first thing I thought of when I heard the McCartney quote. The song was the theme for a James Bond film. I wonder if that was work for hire? Someone like McCartney, though, probably has all the leverage in such a situation and can retain whatever rights he wants.

I wasn't offended by the McCartney comment, but it is a luxury to be able to stay true to your artistic muse first and foremost. I think that's less likely when your work is merely an element that contributes to the larger whole.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread