Cody, read it one more time. (Off-Topic)

by MartyTheElder, Tuesday, August 05, 2014, 14:40 (3553 days ago) @ Cody Miller

"In some cases, O'Donnell said limiting the benefits of work-for-hire to the immediate compensation makes sense."

"When you're really expecting a group of people to work toward a common vision, but you're also depending on the individual artistic visions of the people you're hiring, I think it makes sense to not only allow some of those people to be credited for sure, but also maybe to benefit in the success of what happens in the future."

There are different ways of handling work-for-hire contracts. Yes, almost all film composers are work-for-hire but they have performing rights organizations and most of the time royalties on soundtracks. Also they are usually protected against the "owner" simply taking the "owned" music and selling it to someone else's film project, or putting it in a commercially available music library.

Cody, you actually know a lot, but surprisingly not everything. Come to my talk, I just want to get a discussion started for the benefit of all the people who contribute to a project.

My point is that not all work-for-hire deals are identical. In some industries, there are some better protections for the artist than in other industries.

This was not intended to be the definitive article on the subject. That comes later. ;-)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread