Fascinating read from Marty (Off-Topic)

by kapowaz, Tuesday, August 05, 2014, 10:46 (3553 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Soundtracks and scores are not like writing a Beatles record. A Beatles song is not meant to supplement another work. Mr. McCartney can write and self publish if he wishes. Marty can too, but then it's not in a game or movie.

This sort of answers a question I'd love to put to Marty: what kind of work he'd look to get involved in next. An aversion to work-for-hire would suggest that movies and other video games are out of the question (but maybe they're not that out of the question) and maybe he's going to look at composing works that exist in their own right.

After re-reading it, what he's envisioning is something literally nobody in the industry gets.

I'm wondering if there isn't some loophole way around this. Lots of musicians have their works included in video games; they just write and produce them independently beforehand, then their publisher licenses them to the game publisher. If that can work, maybe there's a route available? But then again maybe not; these artists’ work tends to already be well known (although I can think of one example where less well-known licensed music was included in a game: the WipeOut series).

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread