Fascinating read from Marty (Off-Topic)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, August 05, 2014, 10:32 (3553 days ago) @ narcogen
edited by Cody Miller, Tuesday, August 05, 2014, 10:40

In the film industry I believe composers at least get, if not rights control

They don't. It's all work for hire.

The bottom line is that if you're writing something for someone else, it's going to be a work for hire situation. There's no way around it. Elfman's and Williams' efforts are work for hire. They may get a right to issue direct licenses, but ultimately the work is not owned by them.

I can't say this is true in every single situation, but I don't know of any counterexamples. I don't think you could even do that. Try to simply license your work to the producer, and the studio or network will simply require direct license of the performing rights be included in the licensing deal. That means you don't get royalties.

Soundtracks and scores are not like writing a Beatles record. A Beatles song is not meant to supplement another work. Mr. McCartney can write and self publish if he wishes. Marty can too, but then it's not in a game or movie.

After re-reading it, what he's envisioning is something literally nobody in the industry gets.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread