Narrative (no spoilers) (Destiny)

by Monochron, Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 09:48 (3526 days ago) @ Leviathan

I don't feel that way at all and Im still only playing through solo first. Like I've said, it feels like Halo CE - short bursts of story that provide a framework to your own personally-created narrative while slowly pulling you through different aspects of the universe.

I agree with just about everything you said. To be fair though, games can still tell compelling stories without cutscenes, I guess I just haven't seen that yet in Destiny. In my meager progression through the game so far it looks to me like Bungie swapped having memorable and interesting characters out for replayability/gameplay purposes. I fully admit that the rest of the game could prove me wrong though.

Concerning Halo CE however, the character and story development started from the beginning and that is what drew me in. I liked Keyes a lot by the third mission when I rescued him. Cortana's banter to the chief made me fond of her by the second or third mission. Even hearing Foehammer over the radio made me feel connected to the survivors on the ring.
So far in Destiny I don't feel connected to any other NPC Guardians (in fact that chick we see watching as we fly off in the first mission is pissing me off because she is never interested in helping me not die). The Speaker has only repeated Destiny marketing buzz to me. Dinklebot has revealed back story, but has no real personality so far. In fact, even the enemies don't have personality (though I haven't gotten to the rest yet).

Disclaimer: These are just in-progress thoughts. My opinions may change if these issues go away as I continue.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread