Games as a Service is awesome, & hearken back to shareware (Off-Topic)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, September 24, 2014, 12:07 (3504 days ago) @ Earendil

Instead you'll buy access to a game and the quality of the games themselves will just improve over time.

Haha. HAHAHAHAHAHAH. No.

Why not? In a single large purchase sale, a software company has little incentive to upgrade their software "for free", even when it comes to bug fixes. Most of that is done out of pride and in hopes that it won't be such a crappy experience that you won't buy their next product. In a SaS, the customer hasn't fully paid for the product yet, so the company need to improve things to keep customers paying until they have AT LEAST paid for it.

I was going to point out Mass Effect 3. It had an extended ending for free, and a TON (We're talking weapons, characters, maps, mutations, enemies) of free updates and free DLC... But it also had a microtransaction system that was apparently very successful, though countless players could reap the rewards without paying a cent beyond their initial game purchase... I dunno. That multiplayer was great, and who knows how much has changed since I last played it...

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread