Games as a Service (Off-Topic)

by Earendil, Wednesday, September 24, 2014, 12:22 (3504 days ago) @ car15

You post seems to imply that corporations try to snake money form people in a some sort of scheme, when that is not the case.

It totally is, though.

Yes, corporations have to provide a product that customers buy at a sustainable rate, but they will cut that product down to its absolute thinnest bare-bones value to snake as much money out of their customers as they possibly can. Coca-Cola uses HFCS in their sodas when they didn't always do this. Why? To reduce the costs of production, even though consumers have demonstrated that they prefer cane or beet sugar over HFCS. People are just willing to let the companies do this to them, and so over time the quality of the products worsens.

Full disclosure: I have a significant anti-corporate bias. I love capitalism, but I hate corporatism. I voted for Ron Paul.

Yes, but consumers are happy to continue paying for Coke despite the fact that it's not as good as it used to be. All that proved is that in the capitalist market that Coke was giving away value.

I could sell you a house in Manhattan for a cent. I could then sell you a shack in Kansas for a cent. Yes, your cent didn't get you as much, but you'd still pay it because it's worth more than a cent to you.

The firsty secret of most good games is that I'm willing to pay a lot more money for them as long as I don't have to pay for shit games. The way the market is today, I have to throw out a few $60 nets to find a game I'm really interested in. Back in the golden years of shareware software you got to try before you bought. This allowed you to only pay for things that you KNEW you'd get value out of, instead of plunking down cash and hoping you got value out of the purchase.

In general I like corporations but don't like capitalism in it's purest form. Corporations are not living things, they only do what capitalism dictates they do within the law, and sometimes humans break the law.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread