You're being over-dramatic (Off-Topic)

by RC ⌂, UK, Thursday, September 25, 2014, 06:51 (3503 days ago) @ ShadowOfTheVoid

The experience, the memories, the time you spent, the joy, the pain, the frustration, the elation, the sense of challenge, the skills you gained, the friends you made, all while playing games - no one can ever, ever take those away from you. Those are the things with real value.

Tickets to the cinema, to sports fixtures, concert tickets, TV subscriptions etc. When those end - under your way of thinking - people walk away with 'nothing' as well. Obviously that's not true. Obviously those experiences still have value in and of themselves.

So when it comes to games you need not freak out about other business models that are not product-based.

Now, I like products. I like having things I can look it in the real world. Thinks I can touch. Smell. Even taste if I'm so inclined. I hope Games-As-A-Product never goes away. And I really, really, wish someone would revive the lost art of The Game Manual.

That said, you just need to re-assess the value proposition from a Games-As-A-Service or Subscription-Based or Reliant-On-3rd-Party-Services games: "Will I get an experience of sufficient quality and length to justify the asking price before it is no longer accessible to me?"

In a lot of cases, I think the answer to that question is still going to be yes.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread