I don't get it, then (Destiny)

by Monochron, Saturday, November 22, 2014, 12:19 (3452 days ago) @ ZackDark

If you know getting jumped on by 3 enemies is sure death, I don't get what the complaint is. Surely you understand it happens sometimes, right? Unless you constantly coordinate with a team, there will always be occasions where the other team coordinates on you in overkill situations.

I guess first, in a skill based game when there are things that cause sure death, it is best if the circumstances are clear. If you don't have the skill to avoid these situations, then yeah you are going to die. But when the situation is murky, you are basically playing a small game of chance instead of a small game of skill. Randomness in competitive multiplayer sours the experience.

Let me put it this way: because there is no clear way for me to know what I am about to face AND because if it is > 3 enemies death the time-to-kill will be so unbelievable short, I cannot use my skill to win the encounter. It is the intersection of these two design decisions (which can work fine on their own) that create the bad experience.
Now sure, there can be situations where you luck out and not everyone in the are sees you (or don't look at their radar), or they suck butt and can't hit you. But in a given well matched game, that doesn't generally happen. Usually, there is no way to run before you die.

Second, this isn't a matter of coordination, it is a matter of happenstance. If there is a case where the other team has clearly outfoxed little old me, like flanking me, or holding control of an area, then it sucks but it isn't going to bother me and it isn't a problem with the game. This however isn't an instance of the other team having superior strategy, just decent aim and the ability to watch their own radar.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread