Horn of Morpheus / Close to Know Return

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Tuesday, May 07, 2013, 04:41 (3978 days ago) @ Kermit

Unified City Intelligence
Applied Weapons & Research Section 07-4317.328
Case Report 13.92.03

[image]We have begun close examination of the Sigivan Dees Artifact (a.k.a. "The Horn of Morpheus", "Shancu") and the recently acquired Electromagnetic Optical Distortion Keyboard (a.k.a. “Close to Know Return”). The composition of both instruments is far more intricate than previously believed and it is becoming evident that neither artifact is of purely Awoken origin, likely dating back much further than even the First Great Collapse.

[image]Initial attempts at close analysis of the Sigivan Dees Artifact were met with significant...resistance, from the artifact itself. To date, we have lost 17 subjects in these attempts. They appear at first to slip into some form of somnolent trance; death occurs after 48 hours. Only two have returned after falling into the trance. Upon waking, they each recalled part of an identical melody they had heard, the beginning of which was transcribed as: E2, E3, E2, A2, E3, D3

Applied Weapons & Research Section 07-4317.473
Case Report 13.93.49

After extensive analysis, we have successfully conceived a hybrid device based on reverse engineered schematics from the Sigivan Dees Artifact and the E.O.D.K. This technology is beyond anything we have ever seen before. We are far from ready for production and testing but under pressure from the U.C.I. High Command, I don't believe we have much of a choice in the matter.

Applied Weapons & Research Section 07-4317.523
Case Report 13.94.56 PERSONAL, FINAL ENTRY

Oh God. The electromagnetic pulse knocked out the cameras but...

I managed to salvage what was left of the audio record.

Something has gone terribly, terribly wrong. The subject is gone. The hybrid device is gone. There was an...explosion. The test chamber lies in ruins and half my team are in some kind of coma. I told them we weren't ready. We needed more time. I led him to the chamber and told him to activate the device. As soon as he touched the keyboard...he started to play and it was like he became something else entirely. I remember how it began...*singing* E2, E3, E2, A2, E3, D3. That melody...it turned to chaos...like a thousand robots farting in unison. Space seemed to ripple and tear apart around him...a hole opened, and he walked inside. Then he was gone. POOF!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread