I will make an effort to keep OPs fact-based... (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, August 12, 2015, 22:05 (3231 days ago) @ Kahzgul

What was the big blow up? I've seen this mentioned a few times but have no idea what people are referencing.

Cody's goodbye post. Not looking it up. Had a few things to say related to that that fit with my response to you, but don't want to rehash anything.

I've been called out a few times as a negative poster, but I swear that I really try not to be. I'm still very much a fan of Bungie's body of work, overall, and where I get into negativity is more to do with setting up comparisons in my mind of their past games to their current.

My disappointments with Destiny have dissipated as I've connected the dots between how they described Destiny and what Destiny is. Most of the distortion came from me.

I have also had several negative experiences with Destiny at the hands of the RNG which, when I described them here, some people called "so statistically improbable as to be impossible." Well, those people are wrong, because they happened to me. I feel that I have every right to discuss my experience with the game as the next forum user. Think on it this way: Elements of the game are designed such that for every lucky player who is having loads of fun getting new gear, there is an equally unlucky player having significantly less fun not getting new gear. If those two people talk about their experiences with the game, the first player will love it (what's not to love!? Everything is great!) The second player (me, sadly) will have had a totally different experience and thereby feel differently about the game.***

Guess what? I'm both players. My luck with loot has been way different on the PS4 than it's been on the Xbox. Oddly enough, some of the best times I've had has been with the Deeply Flawed Raiders, who are basically my PS4 crew. Not as many easy-button weapons, so I've had to get creative. I don't actually think Bungie intended to have any easy buttons in their game. Easy-button weapons become less fun after a time.

***caveat: TTK is reportedly fixing RNG loot issues with smarter RNG rolls with bias towards different sorts of gear than what you've received prior, and upgrades to what you're wearing. I am SO excited for this change.

Now, I am getting cautiously optimistic about TTK. The changes sound like someone reading a list right off of this here forum of things we wanted to see changed in the game. It sounds great. So I've started checking these forums again. And posting again. But my experience of Destiny to date has not magically changed into something positive. It is not a game I'm playing right now. It ceased to be fun for me. I would like TTK to be as good as it sounds so that I can get back to space magicking with my friends and having fun in a fascinating Bungie-world again. I still wish that every FPS I ever played handled as well as Destiny does. But handling alone do not a car make.

Good that you're playing other stuff. AND there are people who like Destiny much more than you do who are still playing Destiny, and that's good, too.

Perhaps some of my upset comes from the fact that Destiny has so much incredible potential. The grimoire cards are awesome and the game itself is really only a small slice of the meat that lies therein. I know Bungie can do it. I've seen them do it. Halo? Marathon? Even PiD had a really cool story. Let me be clear: I am rooting for Bungie.

Destiny does have tremendous potential, and like you, I had disappointments with the story, but here's the shift: I had big expectations for year one Destiny. I now think Bungie is thinking bigger than I ever was, but not in the same time frame.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread