REACH, ODST, and Destiny

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, June 12, 2013, 13:58 (3962 days ago) @ Jillybean

I hate to say it but I think you'll be disappointed there. I'd love to see it, but I'm not holding my breath. The last game to try something like that was Mass Effect and its 'repetitive' squares of planets that could be explored. Unless Bungie are going to design the interior of every single building, it will work out too cookie-cutter for the general public.

I reckon, anyway.

Just to say so - I loved that mechanic in Mass Effect 1. Exploring is fun.

Building on that Bioware played around with a much faster and more mobile vehicle (the Hammerhead) in Mass Effect 2. While this was never given large "world" play spaces to fully gallop like the Mako had - when you did have a place to sprint it was fun.

That is probably why we all have (as I heard it recently be called unofficially) a Sparrow. ( I guess old naming conventions die hard )

Further more since Bungie is using (TECH TALK ALERT!) Umbra's Middleware solution for managing their world (called Occlusion culling if you would like to look it up), it is much more possible to do something like Cody expressed now, then it was when Mass Effect 1 came out in 2007.

*The (small) open world-ness of ODST and the constant existence of enemies in that play space

This is actually something I look forward to Destiny improving. In ODST, you had all these buildings, but you couldn't go inside many, and the ones you could go inside limited you to the first few floors. The entire city, everything you saw, should have been explorable. A bit much for a game the size of ODST, but for Destiny? I'd like to see that.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread