Love the gametype, a few kinks to work out. (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, February 16, 2016, 23:11 (2999 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

As an event, I think Crimson Doubles was tarnished a little by several of Destiny's ongoing issues: I don't think the new special ammo tweaks are having a net positive effect on gameplay at the moment. I like the spirit of the changes, I'm just not sure it is working out.

The entire reason that I loved Destiny's PvP has always been the fact that special weapons were something everybody had rather than fought over. The last thing I want to see happen to Destiny is a decay into Halo where everybody is using their 'primary' weapon. I don't want to play a game where the major determining factor in whether you win is your straight up ability to shoot. Otherwise there are other FPSes where you can do that. But that is the most uninteresting type of game. The fact that you have powerful tools like specials, heavies, and supers to get kills is great.

I remember Schooly D slamming PvP pre alpha. It basically came down to there being too many ways to easily get kills. As he put it:

Titans have a super where they slam the ground and kill everyone nearby instantly. Combine this with Destiny's sprinting and sliding mechanics and your paraplegic grandma can manage a 0.8 k/d ratio

How can someone as smart as he is not grasp that K/D is a ratio, and if yours gets higher then someone else's gets lower, so no, not everybody will look good on paper. There will always be over 1 and under 1 in games. Also, you know, everybody has access to all those tools, and some people can use them more effectively than others.

The timing of individual kills make much more of an impact on a game than on the fact that a kill happens.

There were legitimate problems with the game well in to the Beta stage, but none of them had to do directly with having special ammo spawn. The issue was certain specials being overly powerful, and certain perks being too damn good.

I really hope that in Destiny 2 there exists a separate PvP and PvE ecosystem. Bring them together for special events like Iron Banner when you can use anything, but PvP should have its own guns, and its own set of perks available on those guns. The stats on those guns should be balanced for PvP. This would solve so many problems.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread