7/10, Special Weapons idea... (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, February 17, 2016, 00:22 (2999 days ago) @ nico

There were some great ideas, such as the shared bounties, where I would equip an Auto Rifle to help my teammate complete his -- I just felt like those ideas weren't developed quite to the degree of sophistication that they could have been and with commensurate rewards, e.g., "Kill an enemy player damaged with your teammate's melee with your melee." This may be tedious to implement from a coding standpoint, however.

In my experience, these kinds of bounties always cause more problems than fun. The problem is that if the bounties get too specific, then you end up with players spending entire matches (sometimes several in a row) focusing on completing the bounty rather than trying to win and play effectively. This goes back to the Halo 3 days when players would group up to cheese certain achievements together, because the goals were too situational for most players to complete them naturally (like getting a double-kill with a Spartan Laser in a Free-for-all playlist... you could play 10 games without even touching a Spartan Laser, much less get a double kill with it in Free-for-all). I believe that if your idea were implemented, we would end up with teams spending all of their time rushing straight at the enemy team and trying to double-melee them over and over until they finally complete the bounty. Stuff like that can really sap the fun out of the game, especially if you run into multiple players or teams trying to do the same thing, game after game.

I agree that the Crimson Doubles bounties were pretty shallow, but I think anything more specific or complicated would have caused problems. The sweet spot, IMO, is to create bounties that reward the kinds of in-game actions all players are striving for anyway. "Get X number of precision kills" and that sort of thing. Bounties like that can actually help train players by giving them incentive to focus on things that will help them become better PvP players.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread