Love the gametype, a few kinks to work out. (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, February 17, 2016, 01:30 (2999 days ago) @ Avateur

I gotta say you summed up my feelings on Destiny PvP incredibly well. Year 1 Destiny PvP reminded me of a quote from Chapterhouse: Dune, "Each attacker is a feather floating on an infinite path. As the feather approaches, it is diverted and removed." There was an intense rhythm to matches that if you managed to get a hold of, you could dominate. It was truly rewarding to aggressive players. Year 2 Destiny still has some of this, but the rhythm has slowed down has begun to favor static play. Halo was all about controlling an area of the map, getting a certain weapon, taking it to a powerful location, rinse-repeat. I played it for 10 years, and loved it. Destiny took that to another level, setting my brain on fire with possibilities. I'd hate to see it fade back into something it wasn't meant to be.

Definitely this. I've tried to tell Schooly that there's more to Destiny than he was giving it credit for, but hey, Destiny isn't for everyone. A lot of people hate how random it can be and how nothing they do or prepare for may matter at any given time based on whatever weapon or power another individual has. It can be frustrating. I just think it makes the game even more competitive. There's a lot of bait-and-switch and trying to out-think your opponents, especially in Trials. It's wonderful.

To me, Trials works so well specifically because it reduces or mitigates so much of the random chaos that makes most of the crucible so frustrating. It adds focus and clarity. The round-based structure eliminates spawn-camping and runaway super chains. The intense 3v3 focus emphasizes careful use of special weapons; they can still dominate, but rounds often end before either team has a chance to collect ammo, meaning every shot really counts. Heavy weapons still (unfortunately) make an appearance, but at least they're confined to a single round. And while I still think the gameplay mechanics of Supers are total BS in PvP, at least Trials forces players to think strategically about how & when to use them.

I guess I just feel very differently about the general quality of Destiny PvP in year 1. I found it enjoyable often enough, but only because the raw movement and shooting feels so good. Overall I think the crucible is a mess compared to other PvP shooters like Halo or Titanfall. Trials was the first time I felt like Destiny really hit its stride as a PvP game. Doubles Elimination shares a lot of the same elements, which is why I enjoy that so much as well.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread