What happened? (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 23:51 (2834 days ago) @ Cody Miller

How can I get this job? I have a (lite) background in AV and have always dreamed about getting involved with TV. My second part time job is doing night and weekend AV jobs and gigs, as well as volunteer gigs. Just lost my day job today so I'm actively thinking about exploring options

1. Move to a big city. NY, LA, Chicago, etc.
2. Apply for every job you can until you get one.
3. Keep your connections, and move up together.

This is pretty accurate. For reality TV (where I work) the career path is:

Production Assistant (PA) --> Vault Manager --> Assistant Editor --> Lead AE (skip if possible) --> Editor --> Finishing Editor

The pay grades kinda suck in the early stages, so it grows from like $800/week as a PA to 1k/week as vault manager, 1200/week as AE, 1500ish/week as Lead, and then Editors make anywhere from 2500 (junior editors) to 4k (20+ years of experience). Finishing editors can make as much as 8k/week but those guys are both insanely good and hustle for work like crazy.

The career also can have a lot of downtime between gigs. I've been really fortunate in this regard, but I know many talented people who spend months between gigs.

Cody works in film (right?) and I really have no idea how that career path goes. I know that AEs in film actually work on the edit from time to time, whereas in reality TV they strictly do technical work.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread