Trials and IB will no longer be available on Legacy consoles (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Saturday, June 25, 2016, 23:04 (2861 days ago) @ Cody Miller

See this is bullshit.

Legacy consoles should continue to function exactly as they do now. That means they should be able to do everything they can now, but just not move forward with year 3 stuff. I'm all for ditching legacy consoles, but not removing content from them.

Yeah, the concept of "what did I actually pay for" with destiny is pretty vague. I thought I bought a game that had weekly and monthly events as part of it, but apparently those are not part of the game per se, but are a "free bonus" available only to those who own the most recent expansion. I didn't pay for SRL, I got to play it for free for two weeks from the grace of Bungie's good will. Iron banner isn't part of the game, it's a free service bungie deigns to offer once a month to players. Trials of Osiris wasn't actually part of the HoW expansion, but is a free service bungie has generously offered to players who happened to also - and unrelatedly - purchase HoW.

Bungie has moved the goalposts many times in terms of what content is part of the core game vs. part of the expansion, and I don't see that changing. Remember when CE came out and the nightfall was omnigul so no one who hadn't purchased CE could run a nightfall that week? It's deceitful to state that "HoW contains an all new PvP game mode" if that mode is not forever a part of HoW, regardless of whether you purchased a later expansion or not.

It feels like trickery, like a bait and switch, and like dishonesty. Will it affect me at all? No, because I'm more likely to either quit all together or buy the new expansion than I am to play without the xpac. But it affects my perception of Bungie as a company.

Come on Big B. You guys have been making some very good decisions lately when it comes to balance and patching issues. Don't go back to the dark side when it comes to content being temporary. Respect the money people gave you, please.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread