Going to have to disagree. (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, June 27, 2016, 17:50 (2850 days ago) @ Kahzgul

They are so utterly committed to a bad genre

FPS games? Great genre. MMO? It's not really an MMO so much as a loot-based FPS. Fundamentally these two elements work really well together and in a lovely and compelling way, which is why we're all still playing this game. There's a core framework that's genius. Movement, shooting, it's so, SO good.

The FPS elements are fantastic. The design of the raids is fantastic. The story missions less so. But still. It does feel great. But that does NOT mesh well with loot based design principles. There's nothing compelling about doing the same shit over and over again for bigger numbers. I've played 90% PvP, and tried the PoE with Ottermack since coming back. I wish I could play trials but I have no interest in grinding anything.

Which reminds me, does anyone know why I can't buy year two versions of the PoE exotics from the Kiosk?

and to bad game design principles.

Current destiny is a tad better. The taken enemies contrast well with their non-taken counterparts to make for more interesting combat (though AI is still crap), the new strikes are more mechanics based and interesting than the old ones (and the boss health rebalancing patch from a year or so ago was very much needed, as were the nightfall changes). RNG is less significant for getting viable weapons (though still needed for absolute top-tier loot), and the plot of TTK makes sense, including the raid element. Still almost no improvement to the endgame play loop, however.

The existence of the loop is the problem. Destiny needs to eliminate loops completely. After playing Uncharted and Mirror's Edge, I just roll my eyes at the idea of playing PoE score attack over and over. So I likely won't.

Bungie could stand to note that being more generous with loot that's still RNG based for roll in no way hurts their game. Even when I farmed up scads of Grasps last week, it turns out I didn't get any that usurped my other guns, and even if they did, they wouldn't have been game breakingly good. I'd rather play a game where many people have the best gun than only 1 lucky guy. That allows for more fair, even, and balanced PvP situations and finer raid tuning. I'm digressing...

So cut RNG entirely and make everything findable in the world or via a quest or mission, or way of doing a mission.

What? Are you saying massively multiplayer games are fundamentally bad?

Yes.

Are you saying Role Playing Games are fundamentally good?

Yeah, they kick ass. If they are done right, which is sadly not often.

But the end game still doesn't really have a focus.

I think they could do something similar to how when you beat the regicide mission in TTK, that was really just the beginning. There was a whole new quest line post game leading to the raid. This needs to be extended I think. So you'd raid, which would then lead to more story missions and another raid, etc, rather than just the hard mode.

PvE endgame would benefit from community goals (kill 200,000 fallen captains this weekend)

These types of things are shit. I'm sorry. Doing an easy thing 200,000 times sucks in comparison to doing something challenging and fun once. Destiny needs far fewer activities that involve doing easy things over and over.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread