Yeah, look, I WANT a good fun sci-fi story (Destiny)

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, July 21, 2016, 19:43 (2835 days ago) @ dogcow

I'm fine w/ Bungie being silly in Destiny, even in the lore with the Cabal being puzzled/terrified of our sweet sweet dance moves, but I really really love a good sci-fi story. Fun, good, not-dark sci-fi stories are largely what have attracted me to Bungie (tho' I guess Marathon had some pretty dark elements, but in comparison to other shooters on the market at the time it was a bright & hopeful shooter).

I'd be very sad if Bungie doesn't develop this story/world of theirs. It's got the foundation of a compelling story, when I finished the Black Garden I thought to myself, "There wasn't much resolution here, but I feel like they've set the stage for the next decade of storytelling." So far I feel like they've introduced us to some of the characters and got sidetracked writing short stories set in the universe that don't advance the plot much (TTK being a bit of an exception, but it felt more like a novella).

They just haven't delivered one. They've delivered amazing environments and a metric ton of obscure lore. "People want to hear about these Iron Lords..." what? I guess I do, because I haven't heard ANYTHING about them. Some dude shows up and higher level people do more damage to lower level people for a week. Oh and there's a flaming shield and some loot that is named _provactively_ but ultimately means nothing.

And I'm not encouraged that the Rise Of Iron is going to involve hearing about / discovering these "iron lords". Right now, as I see it, we haven't been interacting with these characters IN game. They are overwrought item/quest menus that we don't really get to interact with. We don't see them out in the field, doing anything, saying anything. The closest we've had is the stranger and Cayde in our ear, but even then, it's events they have no time to explain or that they're purposely hiding.

I want to play Dark Souls and see if it also doesn't have a story and is just obscure lore that people have been squinting at long enough to find satisfaction in sharing with other people who have been squinting long enough.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread