Yeah, look, I WANT a good fun sci-fi story (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, July 23, 2016, 22:45 (2833 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I want to play Dark Souls and see if it also doesn't have a story and is just obscure lore that people have been squinting at long enough to find satisfaction in sharing with other people who have been squinting long enough.

For whatever it's worth, I think Dark Souls does a much better job of integrating it's lore into a story. Sure, lots of it has to be gleaned from item descriptions and obscure lines of dialogue. But Dark Souls has two big things going for it over Destiny (for me):

1. As narcogen pointed out, the NPCs are encountered out in the world. You run into them on your quest. Some of them are actively pursuing the same things you are. Others are just characters living their lives in a dark and dreary world. But, by the end, they all have clear motivations and an actual story to tell. That's more than I can say for anything that's ever happened in Destiny.

2. The environments tell a story. Every area is unique and helps build the lore for that particular section of the world. Again, it's a story only told in hints. Very little is said outright. But you can get a lot of information about what enemies are in that area, where they're position, what they're doing, where the items in that area are placed (and what the descriptions on those items say), etc. Again, Destiny has basically none of this.

Dark Souls is absolutely brilliant at story telling in its own way; you just have to care enough to look. I'd never though about it before, but I do think it's an apt comparison to make with Destiny. I feel like Destiny very much tries to tell a story in a very similar manner. It's just really bad at doing so.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread