Destiny Update v1.0.3 (Destiny)

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Monday, November 17, 2014, 16:22 (3451 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

(...and I do have a flash drive I could move stuff to, but I really don't want what supposed to be an academic- and professional-oriented purchase to be for games I don't even play all the time, and I don't want to have to plug that in along with getting a game out when I want to play a game)

This is your cheapest option, and the only one available to you if you're never going to pony up for a bigger drive (and let's be honest, this late in the 360's life cycle, with the next gen in front of it, that's a bad purchase decision anyway).

Buy a flash drive. Plug it in. Enjoy a few more gb of storage.

Lady Phoenix has a flipping 360 Memory card, two 8gb flash drives, and two 20gb 360 drives she interchanges on a regular basis (because Halo 3 edition 360) depending on what game we're playing.

It is not fun, it is unsightly, it is annoying. It is the plight you accept for owning a 20gb console ten years after launch and purchasing a game you should've known full well would have massive, huge updates (dlc and otherwise).

How should I have known? Where did they say that before release? Where did they say anyone not paying for DLC would need to download it (and clog up their hard drive and Internet connection for stuff they can't use)?

It sucks, but buy some 8-16gb flash drives (they're cheap, really cheap). You'll be happier in the long run.

I want to say some things that Ragashingo will think are immature but I'll just reiterate: I shouldn't have to. Why not just make the game reserve all the space it'll ever need when you do the install (and tell you how much that is!) so no one has to do this dance? I moved YouTube to the internal storage thing, that hasn't placated it, so I guess I have to delete things I want-- which I won't, because I want them-- or move them to external storage and keep track of that separately. I don't care how cheap it is, by the way, and I don't care a ton that I already have something I can use-- I do care that I might need to use half the space on it or more that's supposed to be for important things (I'm not using it currently, but again that's not the point). There's payment for the game, payment for the console, payment for Xbox Live, payment for all the auxiliary things like an Internet connection and electricity and a TV, and now this. I just want to play a game on my little game box (and enjoy this update that's supposedly so great), not invest in general-purpose storage so I don't permanently lose things that are currently safe and that I had minimal reason to mess with until now.
How did we get to this? We're at point where PC games are "click a few times, download, click play", or "put in a disk, let it install, click play", or "load up a website, click play", while console games require a disk or a download, an Internet connection, space on what will inevitably become a quite limited hard drive (more so with the new consoles and with Destiny in particular), install time, the blood of nine and a half virgins, and prettified progress bars, until the mandatory update to make the game less broken when you have to repeat two thirds of it over again. Plus you have to wait for the console to start up, and for the game to start up, and for the game to check you're allowed to play and the DLC is in order and other things, before you can start playing. You can do that, or play the other game you want to play, but only once you've bought the new shiny game box that you can't afford for several months, and surprise! it has even more problems. How did we get to a point where PC gaming is (slightly) more convenient and capable than console gaming (and yet somehow less popular and just as expensive to stay current)? I mean heck, backwards compatibility, that's a no-brainer on PC, on consoles people drink the proverbial kool aid of it "holding things back", as if that means something other than "oops, we changed the processor and chipset on a fundamental level, again, and we can't include the old ones even though they're ancient and cheap now because fuck you".
Oh and the patch notes say "Improved patch installation process"-- looks the same to me-- and give no hint as to size.
I'm getting a headache thinking about all this.
Is this overly dramatic? Probably. Is it too long? That's what she said. Also probably. Do I think I'm justified in being upset? Yes. Do I think I'll still feel justified tomorrow or next week? Yes.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread