Destiny Update v1.0.3 (Destiny)

by Phoenix_9286 @, Monday, November 17, 2014, 19:08 (3451 days ago) @ General Vagueness

Pretty sure most of this has been covered, but I'm gonna chime in again anyway.

How should I have known? Where did they say that before release? Where did they say anyone not paying for DLC would need to download it (and clog up their hard drive and Internet connection for stuff they can't use)?

How should you have known? Because this is the way things have worked for a long while now. I don't know what all games you play, or even what gaming news you keep up with, but updates to games are frequent, especially to anything approaching MMO status. With storage as cheap as it is, and broadband widespread, there isn't any need to cherry pick what is fixed or changed. You can do it all.

Pretty sure Kermit cited where they stated their intentions prior to launch.

As for why you should have to download dlc when you aren't paying for it? Compatibility with the playerbase. You aren't downloading the dlc. You're downloading a compatibility pack. These have been available for everything from Saints Row to Borderlands. Without them, people with dlc and without dlc are segregated, your playerbase fractures. With them, everyone can still play together, and you can see, but not use, the new content (Or in the case of Borderlands, the person with the DLC can host the person without it, allowing them to play through the content even if they don't own it. I think I've only seen this with the Slaughter Pits though. Those are on disc already.). I think Halo 4 did this with dlc armor. A TU was applied so everyone could see the armor, even if they didn't purchase the pack.

Compatibility packs are good things as far as I'm concerned.

It sucks, but buy some 8-16gb flash drives (they're cheap, really cheap). You'll be happier in the long run.

Why not just make the game reserve all the space it'll ever need when you do the install (and tell you how much that is!) so no one has to do this dance?

Because then we could all see the future, and you'd have people bitching about why X game was taking up Y space when it was only using Z. This is a thing that people will do.

There's payment for the game, payment for the console, payment for Xbox Live, payment for all the auxiliary things like an Internet connection and electricity and a TV, and now this. I just want to play a game on my little game box (and enjoy this update that's supposedly so great), not invest in general-purpose storage so I don't permanently lose things that are currently safe and that I had minimal reason to mess with until now.

Welcome to gaming. It's an expensive hobby.

How did we get to this? We're at point where PC games are "click a few times, download, click play", or "put in a disk, let it install, click play", or "load up a website, click play", while console games require a disk or a download, an Internet connection, space on what will inevitably become a quite limited hard drive (more so with the new consoles and with Destiny in particular), install time, the blood of nine and a half virgins, and prettified progress bars, until the mandatory update to make the game less broken when you have to repeat two thirds of it over again.

Ironically I think you have this completely backwards. My experience with PC gaming was loads of games want an internet connection. Also updated drivers. Also newer (expensive) hardware on a regular basis. Also many compatibility issues.

Console? Buy game. Insert disc. Install disc. Update game. Play. Done.

I jumped to consoles specifically because I never wanted to troubleshoot a flipping game and my hardware ever again. I never wanted to have to worry about settings, or quality, or hardware. I just want to play games, not micromanage the behind the scenes. And again, you're at this point micromanaging the behind the scenes because you're using a version of the console that's very old. Your solution is simple, and everyone else accepted it a long time ago. The games outgrew the hard drive. You're fighting a losing battle, and no amount of sticking to your principles is going to change that. If this was a PC game, and you didn't have enough space on your ten year old computer to run it, would you still be bitching? Or would you buy more storage, or accept the fact that your computer is maybe a little too old?

Up until last gen, the console was entirely static. If you bought one on launch day, it'd serve you until the end of the line. Things are different now that we're in the age of big games, cheap storage, and ubiquitous broadband. The launch console will probably take you to the end of the line, but it will not be ideal when you get there. I can guarantee you in a few years we'll have new PS4s and XOnes with storage that make the launch units look laughable.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread