Destiny Update v1.0.3 (Destiny)

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Monday, November 17, 2014, 19:38 (3451 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286
edited by General Vagueness, Monday, November 17, 2014, 20:31

Why not just make the game reserve all the space it'll ever need when you do the install (and tell you how much that is!) so no one has to do this dance?

Because then we could all see the future, and you'd have people bitching about why X game was taking up Y space when it was only using Z. This is a thing that people will do.

¯\°_°/¯ I don't care.

There's payment for the game, payment for the console, payment for Xbox Live, payment for all the auxiliary things like an Internet connection and electricity and a TV, and now this. I just want to play a game on my little game box (and enjoy this update that's supposedly so great), not invest in general-purpose storage so I don't permanently lose things that are currently safe and that I had minimal reason to mess with until now.

Welcome to gaming. It's an expensive hobby.

All the more reason to not make people pay more. I can't afford two hobbies that involve any purchasing, at all, because one of them would be gaming. (Which, OK, that would be a sly way of locking me in, but I don't think they thought that far ahead.)

How did we get to this? We're at point where PC games are "click a few times, download, click play", or "put in a disk, let it install, click play", or "load up a website, click play", while console games require a disk or a download, an Internet connection, space on what will inevitably become a quite limited hard drive (more so with the new consoles and with Destiny in particular), install time, the blood of nine and a half virgins, and prettified progress bars, until the mandatory update to make the game less broken when you have to repeat two thirds of it over again.

Ironically I think you have this completely backwards. My experience with PC gaming was loads of games want an internet connection. Also updated drivers. Also newer (expensive) hardware on a regular basis. Also many compatibility issues.

That's what I'm saying, that's supposed to be where console gaming is stronger, but it's losing that.

Console? Buy game. Insert disc. Install disc. Update game. Play. Done.

You don't see the flaw there? There are one or two steps I don't want to have (install and update). I understand about making the game better and making it run better, but I don't really care to install a game or anything I don't have to unless it's over and done before I have time to really think about it or I can do anything I want in the meantime, and installing on a console fails both points (at least on the 360, I've heard it's better on the newer consoles, but again I can't afford a magic future box yet), and as for updates, part of the problem is that's what alphas and betas are for, and part of it is this "compatibility pack" thing (which I'm not convinced is what this is). That's not an update to improve the game, that's an update just to stop it from being broken, that's not what I'd call a good and wise update-- sure, the game shouldn't be broken, but to devote so much to just that, and content that only certain people will see, seems like a waste of space and time, for the player if not for the developer.

I jumped to consoles specifically because I never wanted to troubleshoot a flipping game and my hardware ever again. I never wanted to have to worry about settings, or quality, or hardware. I just want to play games, not micromanage the behind the scenes.

I've never had to micromanage. The most I've had to do was download a newer engine for Doom and copy some files over, and try to sort things out with what was probably a badly planned multi-game Atari port that's since been discontinued.

And again, you're at this point micromanaging the behind the scenes because you're using a version of the console that's very old. Your solution is simple, and everyone else accepted it a long time ago. The games outgrew the hard drive. You're fighting a losing battle, and no amount of sticking to your principles is going to change that. If this was a PC game, and you didn't have enough space on your ten year old computer to run it, would you still be bitching? Or would you buy more storage, or accept the fact that your computer is maybe a little too old?

I'd probably be complaining about inefficiency. Do you know how big a gigabyte is, really? You could fit tens of thousands of books in that, you could fit thousands of pictures, a couple thousand songs, tens or dozens or even hundreds of thousands of programs from the dawn of the PC era or earlier, but for modern games it might not even be enough for the engine.
Yeah, I know, things progress, things get bigger because they progress, things get bigger because they accumulate inefficiencies, inefficiencies get harder to remove and easier to live with, I still feel like there's this wondrous huge amount we can do now and so much of it is being squandered because we let things bloat until they're uncomfortable or on the verge of being uncomfortable and then try to cut back.

Up until last gen, the console was entirely static. If you bought one on launch day, it'd serve you until the end of the line.

exactly, that's why you'd get a console

Things are different now that we're in the age of big games, cheap storage, and ubiquitous broadband. The launch console will probably take you to the end of the line, but it will not be ideal when you get there. I can guarantee you in a few years we'll have new PS4s and XOnes with storage that make the launch units look laughable.

I won't, I'm getting one soon and I won't get another one unless it breaks.

Now, that update went for an hour, here's-- fucking; how does it have insufficient space? I don't... what. I thought it stalled maybe, but.... I deleted the old updates, I moved things around, I deleted a very large thing, I had 7.5 GB for it to chew up, it was acting fine, it transferred stuff and then it said it was downloading... this is what I'm talking about, this shouldn't happen, on a PC or especially on a console.
Edit: that was after a restart of the update; after being at the dashboard a while it said something downloaded, I restarted again and it's transferring the original large chunk of whatever again
also someone mentioned elsewhere I might need a bit more free space than the size of the update, I should have almost a gigabyte more

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread