Destiny Update v1.0.3 (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, November 17, 2014, 18:15 (3451 days ago) @ General Vagueness

How could they possibly know this?

planning? "hey guys, we can't go over this number for patches" "oh OK"
I'm not saying it has to be small or even that reasonable, I just would like it to exist.

Did you hear the part where they said they can't wait to see what we do with it, or that what the game becomes depends on us? Heck, a lot of today's update is in direct response to US. How can you plan that?
...>

Oh and the patch notes say "Improved patch installation process"-- looks the same to me-- and give no hint as to size.

They should tell you. I agree. Wasn't hard to find out, though.

I went and looked and I can't seem to find it. I know you said something about 2.44 GB, and I saw that, but I really doubt that's the same for every platform, just like the game itself and the initial install were all different.

According to a mutual friend, it's 1.07 GB for the 360. I updated my original post.

Plus that's almost half the size of the current installed content, that's DLC-sized, that makes it seem like they're forcing everyone to download the DLC whether they can access it or not, and they wouldn't do something that du-- no, I know this... they would probably do something that dumb, because if I'm playing this long and jumping through hoops I'll probably keep playing after this. Bungie, now you've got me using Cody Miller logic, are you happy?

I doubt that they are dumb, but the likely explanation is that it's not really possible to continue to have a shared open world game without everyone having the same world. Barriers to those who don't buy the DLC are easier to pull off than making different versions of the world compatible.

I'm getting a headache thinking about all this.
Is this overly dramatic? Probably. Is it too long? That's what she said. Also probably. Do I think I'm justified in being upset? Yes. Do I think I'll still feel justified tomorrow or next week? Yes.

It's your energy you're expending. Keep in mind, though, the game is going to continue to get bigger. Now you know.

I don't know that because no one that actually has any say in it has said so. (I am getting so fucking sick of this lack of communication and people just being OK with it. [To be fair, it's not just Bungie, it's not just game developers, it's everyone, I detest this tight-lipped part of our culture that I discover more and more every year.]) Maybe I'm edging into unreasonable territory, but I have sobering news: there are people out there far less reasonable than me and even dumber than me, and they buy things too (and they vote, but I don't want to give anyone nightmares).

I might actually agree with the parts of this I understand, but again, your failure to understand their intentions or their failure to supply specifics which they could not have known in advance of your purchase does not equal being tight lipped.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread