So, what happens if (Destiny)

by Earendil, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 09:24 (3395 days ago) @ Cody Miller

What happens if I die, and before resurrecting I swap either my heavy weapon OR my armor?

I don't see the problem. If you are dead, and you swap armor, then the game would adjust the value as if you were alive. There would be literally no difference.

I'll write it out a little bit longer.

If you simply save off a number, swapping weapons will be very broken.

If I save off the number "7", then swap to a machine gun, I would expect to have more than 7 bullets. Very broken, and in a worse way than it currently is.

If you simply save a percentage, swapping armor will be very broken.

If I save off "50%" ammo, and in death remove two armor pieces that increase my max ammo by 2, than when "50%" is applied upon respawn I will have 1 less rocket than expected. More concisely, I would go from 3 of 6 to 2 of 4, even though my original ammo count was within the bounds of the maximum count.

We also don't know what methods are being used to save or configure this information. Good development is finding an operation that is done in multiple locations and using a single method/function for it. It could be that "save ammo" is used in dozens of different situations, and this bug only shows up in 3 of them. Obviously the method wasn't as multi purpose as they hoped, but they can't simply rewrite the method without breaking the 9 cases where it DOES work.

It really is sort of hard to understand, but it's very much like any sort of architecture. Beautiful, simple, fast architecture is also some of the most interdependent and hardest to "move a wall" or "move a beam" without having to modify lots of other pieces. It really can be like Janga, which is when a developer looks into a bug and instead of it being a one line fix they start swearing and banging their head into the desk.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread