You're assuming the bug is a single-frame thing (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 12:42 (3395 days ago) @ ZackDark

Well that and just about everybody's assumptions seem centered on this bug as if Destiny was solely a single player game when it isn't. I'm not entire sure that the concept of a host player still exists in Destiny but I've seen bad connections and sync issues cause all sorts of weirdness. Players' positions can jump around. Enemy AI units will sometimes blip backwards in time and repeat an action like jumping down from a ledge, firing from around an obstacle, or even dying multiple times over. I'm fairly certain I've even seen lag affect things like ammo counts where you can fire a whole magazine from your point of view but a moment later have a few bullets left.

Now take the heavy ammo bug with all the potential causes and imperfect solutions people have identified and try to keep things sane and in sync with two, five, or eleven other players! If an enemy's position or alive vs dead state can drift out of sync and be reset to what the various clients think is canonical then so can the amount of heavy ammo, or which sets of armor you have equipped, or which weapon you've swapped to. What happens to Cody's overly cute solution of "just write down the correct number and restore it exactly when it is appropriate" when a bit of lag pushes your game state back half a second? Or the other clients tell yours that you actually fired off another rocket that you didn't think you did?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread