While we wait for HoW... (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, March 09, 2015, 17:25 (3359 days ago) @ stabbim

They're also quite good at it.

**Looks longingly at Two Betrayals**

You ain't kidding. I'm always confused when people write things about Halo: CE, and mention "re-used level geometry" being detrimental to the game. When I first played through those levels, I remember being impressed. I was excited to see how the areas had changed, and what new encounters there would be.

Would the game have been more interesting with entirely new areas in each level? Perhaps, but I definitely never thought "Oh, this place again? Meh" when playing Two Betrayals.

Agreed. If you had literally played through Attack on the Control Room backwards then sure, it would have been silly. But with some paths blocked off, with different encounters in every single combat space, at a different time of day, with different music? It's also the first time you get a Banshee without tricks, isn't it? That alone lets you explore the level in a completely different way!

Destiny, does some of this. Patrolling the Hellmouth is different from the Sword of Crota mission is different than running a Heroic level Strike trying to survive against the Wizards of Doom in the Crota sword room! But it also falls down on this sometimes like how in the open world spaces there is often only one set of enemies that drops off at any given location and it doesn't change with missions or time of day or storyline progress or anything...

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread