A step even further (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, March 09, 2015, 19:34 (3359 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY
edited by Cody Miller, Monday, March 09, 2015, 19:38

Get rid of upgrading gear altogether.

Eliminate attack values for weapons. All perks activated when you get the gun. What matters now are the weapon stats, and the perks (as in crucible currently). The fact that certain awesome perks are only available on rares (for instance shoot to loot) makes this even more amazing, as now you'd actually have a possible reason to use a blue. Of course, using a legendary grants you another perk, and an exotic grants exotic perks, so they are still "better".

For armor eliminate light and defense. Again, only the perks matter. How leveling would work past 20 I don't know yet.

This eliminates the frustration of leveling gear, encourages a wider variety of gear usage, more experimentation, and no fear of gear becoming obsolete. I would go so far as to completely eliminate random perks as well and have each weapon have predefined perks, as that way it would be easier to plan and balance all the weapons with each other, as well as give new weapons in DLC enough value to warrant acquisition.

Add in a non-random way to acquire any of the weapons and armor, and I've just improved upon one of Destiny's biggest failings. I don't give two shits if people don't play for 3 hours per day anymore because they don't have to grind. That's the entire point.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread