Your Gaming Guilty Pleasures *OT*

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, July 15, 2013, 12:46 (3941 days ago)

I'm curious as to what people's guilty pleasures on here are when it comes to games. Maybe you like a game and it's embarrassing because of the subject matter. Maybe you like a game that is absolutely terrible, but somehow it appeals to you. Anything where you might be hesitant to tell people you are a fan.

The purpose here is to perhaps get some people to try each other's guilty pleasures! I will try at least two other people's games from this thread. :-D

I'll share two of my milder ones, and ramp up if folks get crazy with their confessions.

The first is by all means a pretty bad game, but I don't know why, I still love it. Maybe it's because it's so hard. We are talking BattleToads hard. Or maybe because Ghostbusters was my favorite thing ever as a kid. Anyway, Ghostbusters II for the NES. I played this last week actually.

The second is also by most accounts a bad game - a very simple JRPG. There are relatively few items, and your characters don't get a lot of spells, so battle strategy for every boss is exactly the same, including the final boss. The turn based combat system is slow and tedious, without much strategy. The translation was… controversial, and it's your typical Boy saves Girl story. Lunar: Silver Star Story.

Despite being a bore mechanically, the story just really gets me. Maybe it's the simplicity of the message, Good vs Evil, triumph of the human spirit, etc, but my hair stands on end when I see the ending. It's so satisfying and perfect. I'm such a sissy.

Share.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread