Load Times and 30FPS - Crash Bandicoot Remaster (Gaming)

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Sunday, July 02, 2017, 14:53 (2499 days ago) @ Cody Miller

...Because I don't?

I've made a few games, and played way more. I still don't get the big deal. It's like bitching that a game's power-ups are orange instead of red.

Clearly it is. An it's not bitching. We are talking about the fundamental ability to play these games at all.

No we're not. If that was true, the Crash Bandicoot remaster wouldn't have an 80 on metacritic. The VAST majority of people don't care about framerate, or we would see a gulf in sales between games that are 60fps and games that are not. that gulf doesn't exist.

I suspect that you, being younger than I am, might not have played precision games on a CRT screen where there was no latency. Someone commented when I mentioned the Pi emulator, that when they played a retro game on the original hardware, they were shocked at how responsive it was. They were designed for that tightness.

#ageism

I played games on a CRT screen all the way through my first year of college.

The problems you're talking about here wouldn't be solved by a 60fps port. If there's lag introduced through whatever newfangled HDMI/LCD tech is the standard now, that's an entirely separate issue.

FIFA is not going to matter if there's a bit of latency. Something like Crash Bandicoot will.

I've never touched the gameplay side of FIFA. I did UI implementation.

The other games I've made in my own time are just as fun at 60 as they are at 30.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread