This thread is Cody's game review. (Gaming)

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, July 04, 2017, 01:58 (2497 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by Funkmon, Tuesday, July 04, 2017, 02:03

He's structured it as a commentary on the industry at large, but it's just this game.

Cody Review: fine, I'm obviously playing it a lot, but the input lag is enough to make this game more frustrating than it was originally. I think 60FPS would have alleviated this. I also find the load times frustrating.

Cody does something that some journalists do, or at least some writers. They make a mountain out of a molehill, but not so obviously. They eliminate the phrase "I think" from their writing, as it's perceived as weakening an argument they put forward, and they present their argument as fact, then support it. They always do put forward an argument, by the way. In gaming, you may have an Assassin's Creed game review veer off to the cookie cutter open world win districts format, and talk about why that is objectively bad game design. They, of course, would acknowledge that it isn't objectively bad if pressed, but they know that any hedging weakens their argument. They miss the point though, and forget to review the actual game. They want to make their argument.

Cody, game review deadline absent, is free to make these arguments, and he makes them strongly, with basic and effective writing tactics. Most of us perceive this forum as a place to just chat with friends. Cody does too, but also seems to secondarily treat the forum as an exercise in attempting to convince people that he's correct about things and others are wrong, as opposed to just sharing ideas.

Once you read the posts through these glasses, Cheapley, it's NBD. He's sharing that he is playing this game, but it has technical problems he doesn't like. He then takes the opportunity to assert an argument of objective truth of games, which is just his opinion, written like an op-ed. Not dissimilar to anything else anybody else here does. You just have to read through Cody filter of probably not as confident as he sounds, much like people should read things I say through the Funkmon filter of probably not being serious.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread