A good reason to dislike Sony (Gaming)

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Saturday, December 09, 2017, 11:32 (2323 days ago) @ Korny

Yeah, it was an obnoxious decision then, and as I said, at the launch of PS4, I thought Sony were CRUSHING it.

And yet, you apparently still fully supported Microsoft, and one can only assume that you bought D1 on their console then, even though you have such admirable principles against companies that prevent crossplay.

I did it to play with my friends... I bought a PS4, played the Alpha and Beta on PS4, and then ended up getting it on XB1 because that is where my main crew was playing. I didn't fully support Microsoft at the time, I thought they had really screwed up with the Kinect and lackluster performance and picked up my first Sony console ever because of it.

Why should we be complacent on not being able to play together? Judging from the FTB, it looks like we could (both platforms) have DOUBLE the fun together! What's in it for you for us to stop being salty about it?

Heh, you have twice admitted to being an Xbox fanboy already.

Yeah, because I have some self awareness. I was a Nintendo and Mac fanboy. I begrudgingly got an XBox to play Halo and loved it. I thought PS4 and D1 was going to have the same shift, but it turned out that the people I played XBox with, were going to stay on XBox even if half of us also got PS4s. I'm still an XBox Fanboy in so much as, it's where I play most of my games, and I'd like for that experience to be even better.

Anyway, people being salty about corporations refusing to make dumb business decisions just to cater to them is dumb. OBVIOUSLY I would love for everyone to play with everyone else. It's not an exclusionary thing at all. But this is one of those instances where every time the whining starts, everyone is quick to say "why don't they just do it?" "it's the right thing to do!" "a reason to not buy a PS4". And it's asinine. It's not gonna happen.
Would I love to be proven wrong? Absolutely! Serve me up a bag full of Funkmon brand socks!

You're out here saying we need to accept Sony's anti-consumer decision because it's just good business? Either you're a cigar smoking robber baron or a sony fanboy... I'm not sure. It's a bad decision, back when Microsoft made it and now while Sony is making it.

But name a single instance in history where a corporation decided to simply hand over its customer base to a competitor simply because "it's the right thing to do".

Corporations make all sorts of decisions they don't want to under pressure from their consumer base, Star Wars Battlefront 2 just being the most recent example. I don't think they'll make it because "it's the right thing to do", I think they'll make it because we keep on making noise about it.

Have you considered the concept that you're a Sony fanboy for defending a bad, for us, decision?

The entire time I've been speaking from a purely business-oriented perspective. Nothing to do with favoring a specific company over another, whereas you've been vilifying Sony as a whole over a smart business decision. There's clear fanboyism in this thread, yeah, but not from my end, because with every single thing that I've said, you could swap out Sony with any other corporation, and the logic and points are all the same. It's common sense.

Whoa there, I'm not vilifying Sony as a whole, where do you get that from?

When Microsoft had the larger playerbase (and they were staunchly against crossplay to a degree where several developers simply refused to even try to launch games on their console), I would have made the exact same points then. It's odd that none of you folks were whining about it against them for the past decade, but they're the "good guys" now that they're far behind in sales and have had to try to scrounge up some goodwill.

Lets make it clear, Microsoft is not "the good guys", they're a company that made some really bad decisions driven by the hubris of their domination over the PS3. They're now suffering for it, and rightly so, and are trying to make back the ground with savvy decision making. Though, they are continually face planting, their whole approach to VR and AR is slapshod whereas the PSVR is, available, competent, affordable, and has GAMES. This thread is about 1 decision. If you want me to take a step back, I don't think Microsoft has done nearly enough to knock Sony off it's perch, just enough to rattle it a bit.

So yeah, the saltiness is stupid, but I understand where it comes from... But it would be a bad business decision for them to allow crossplay, and if I was the boss watching Microsoft's console division slowly crumble in favor of PC, I'd never say yes. I'd simply wait them out, because the handful of salty Xbox fanboys whining about it are nothing compared to the nearly 71 million units sold, and that's a simple fact.

I mean, remember Cody's post here recently? Not a single Xbox player could provide a single convincing reason for him to pick up an Xbone, and some even told him just to grab a Switch instead. Imagine what it's like outside of this forum, where Nintendo is far more appealing to the average customer, and there's not a single ad anywhere pitching Xbox exclusives. Sony is perfectly happy sitting on their laurels (which I think is dumb, and it's historically led them to make dumb decisions, but not allowing crossplay is not one of those dumb things. It is objectively a good decision FOR THEIR BUSINESS).

That's because his question was about exclusives. I felt like there were plenty of people in the thread who got XB1Xs and had good reasons for doing so. Outside of this forum is a widely massive variety of things. There is a group of gamers who care about exclusives, there is a group of gamers who have no idea what exclusive is on what console unless you're talking about Mario and Zelda. I've talked about wanting to pick up Horizon Zero Dawn with some co-workers and they had no idea what it was. Until someone makes FIFA or Madden a console exclusive, I doubt it has a measurable effect on the general populace.

I think we'll see the slightest shift this holiday season (possibly imperceptible) based on the only thing that has actually changed recently, when someone asks what the most powerful console is, it won't be a PS4. I don't think it'll change much.

And again, brand loyalty has absolutely nothing to do with it. How is it so difficult to understand?

If you think that brand loyalty has nothing to do with the content you post on this forum, I am just jaw on the floor surprised.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread