A good reason to dislike Sony (Gaming)

by EffortlessFury @, Saturday, December 09, 2017, 14:14 (2323 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Lets make it clear, Microsoft is not "the good guys", they're a company that made some really bad decisions driven by the hubris of their domination over the PS3. They're now suffering for it, and rightly so, and are trying to make back the ground with savvy decision making. Though, they are continually face planting, their whole approach to VR and AR is slapshod whereas the PSVR is, available, competent, affordable, and has GAMES. This thread is about 1 decision. If you want me to take a step back, I don't think Microsoft has done nearly enough to knock Sony off it's perch, just enough to rattle it a bit.

Disclaimer : though I'm an employee, the below is my perception of the decisions Microsoft has made and are my own opinion, not based on any internal info, etc.

Microsoft's foray into VR is less, I think, about gaming than it is about facilitating AR. It was clever, really. VR tech is cheaper and more accessible than AR tech but it allows for AR software development (and to a lesser extent, use) on the cheaper hardware. As an added bonus, MS is now in the VR space and can leverage it any way they wish.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread