4K stuff. (Off-Topic)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, January 15, 2018, 09:34 (2292 days ago) @ Korny
edited by Kermit, Monday, January 15, 2018, 09:46

I’d love to have an OLED, but I’m not made of money!

OLEDs have a bit of a burn-in issue, so I wouldn't recommend them for gaming. They look nice enough, but side-by-side with an HDR LED screen, the difference is fairly negligible (plus, some of them have a reflective glare).

I was very worried about burn-in before I got my LG B7. Yet over the holidays I played more Destiny than I've played in a long time and I've had zero burn-in and not even any image retention--the latter surprised me. I do have my consoles set to turn off pretty quickly without activity, so I'm sure that's helped. (I wish PS4s had the same screen protection features that the Xbox has.) I do have my hud's opacity set to low in Destiny.

My viewing habits also help. I don't have cable so I avoid the idiocy that is (all) cable news (and their persistent chyrons). I watch very little broadcast TV most of which seem to have persistent logos these days. Ninety-eight percent of my use is streaming or games or watching a disc.

Yes, I paid over $2000 for it, but for my money I jumped 25" and got the exact same screen as LG's W7 $7000 flagship. (Something that won't be true of their 2018 models.) The W7 is Consumer Reports highest rated TV. If it's anything like my original Samsung HDTV, I won't be buying a new TV for 10 years.

And it's difficult to overstate the effect of perfect contrast. I'm extremely pleased.

OLED's don't get as bright as LED, and one thing on the horizon is micro-LED, which, like OLED, have pixels that are lit independently so you get those inky blacks. That promises the best of both worlds.

Before I saw my current set, I’d have genuinely thought any sub-$1000 4K HDR set would be prettt garbage,

The one we've been keeping an eye on dropped to $900 plus $250 rebate (and Sammy's more interested in size, so anything <65" is going to be far cheaper), but because we had other holiday priorities, we kind of missed the window.
As you're obviously aware, you don't need anything pricey for great visuals, as long as it has HDR. Most 4K TVs these days lump in "Smart TV' features just to bump up the price, when they're mostly useless.

And I basically stole the freaking thing for $300.

That's a fantastic deal, cheapley. One way you can get closer to (perceived) perfect contrast with that TV is by using bias lighting.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread