4K stuff. (Off-Topic)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, January 15, 2018, 12:57 (2292 days ago) @ Korny

Oh, no, I know that it exists fairly broadly. I'm just saying I can't imagine what that is like.

I generally notice things once I look for them, but usually my brain accepts things without issue. I can hop between a 60fps game and 30fps game with no problem (as well as a 60Hz screen versus a 120Hz). I can look at a retina display and an old 3Gs display and not really have anything feel off. I was completely fine with a digital Peter Cushing and Carrie Fisher on the first watch, even though I knew they were CG (even the digital Ahnold in Terminator: Salvation looked pretty flawless to me).

That said, if I were to deliberately look for the differences, I could point them out. Our Best Buy has OLED screens, HDR, and non-HDR screens on display. While non-HDR screens are pretty obvious, OLED and LED look pretty much the same to me even when I'm looking for a difference, and the difference is certainly not anywhere near $1k, especially coming off of a 1080p tv (I'm not getting rid of my personal 32" anytime soon).

Sammy notices things much better, even though she wears glasses, so who knows.

OLEDs look better in darker rooms. I'm not saying the difference is worth the expense--not to everyone. I've been considering and researching my purchase for over a year. In 2016 I was very close to buying a 55". I'm glad I waited and went bigger, and going bigger was the biggest contributor to the cost. This time I'd read enough to feel good about what I got. It was more than I wanted to spend, but right now I'd do a side by side comparison with anything you can buy. In March, maybe not, but that's how these things go.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread