4K stuff. (Off-Topic)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, January 15, 2018, 13:56 (2264 days ago) @ Korny

There are lots of places where I will pay money to have a better experience. Using a TV's built-in apps has always been a garbage experience. Sadly, the insistence on "unifying" the app experience (Netflix is one of the worst for this) is dragging everything down to the lowest common denominator.

Yes I agree, which is why I prefer to use a computer attached to the TV. But I have to use the smart app because amazon video can't establish an HDCP link between my computer and the TV, and thus streams everything in SD which fucking blows.

I have literally had to pirate things I paid for with amazon because it won't let me watch it in HD.

You could get a cheap HDMI splitter with HDCP stripping. It's what I have that lets me stream/capture HDCP-blocked content (take THAT, Atlus!). I use the ViewHD 4K HDMI Splitter (Model: VHD-Pluto). Cost about $18, but I don't think that it supports HDR (says that it has "Deep Color" support), but there are some that do, so get to researching!

That’s not the issue. It can’t establish a link in the first place, since from my Mac to my TV is apparently is not an approved pathway. Nothing to strip because a secure connection is never established. Thus, SD over the unsecured connection.

Years ago those HDFury things would have the keys to establish the connection, then strip it on the way out to the monitor. Splitters just strip.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread