4K stuff. (Off-Topic)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, January 15, 2018, 12:17 (2286 days ago) @ Vortech

Oh, no, I know that it exists fairly broadly. I'm just saying I can't imagine what that is like.

I generally notice things once I look for them, but usually my brain accepts things without issue. I can hop between a 60fps game and 30fps game with no problem (as well as a 60Hz screen versus a 120Hz). I can look at a retina display and an old 3Gs display and not really have anything feel off. I was completely fine with a digital Peter Cushing and Carrie Fisher on the first watch, even though I knew they were CG (even the digital Ahnold in Terminator: Salvation looked pretty flawless to me).

That said, if I were to deliberately look for the differences, I could point them out. Our Best Buy has OLED screens, HDR, and non-HDR screens on display. While non-HDR screens are pretty obvious, OLED and LED look pretty much the same to me even when I'm looking for a difference, and the difference is certainly not anywhere near $1k, especially coming off of a 1080p tv (I'm not getting rid of my personal 32" anytime soon).

Sammy notices things much better, even though she wears glasses, so who knows.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread