4K stuff. (Off-Topic)

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Monday, January 15, 2018, 10:48 (2285 days ago) @ Korny

I’d love to have an OLED, but I’m not made of money!

OLEDs have a bit of a burn-in issue, so I wouldn't recommend them for gaming. They look nice enough, but side-by-side with an HDR LED screen, the difference is fairly negligible (plus, some of them have a reflective glare).

I'm very sensitive to visual issues like that from the days when I ran a TV station, So I'll be the canary in the coal mine for this generation of LG OLED, I guess. I passed on Plasma due to fear of burn in and then came to regret it when nothing I ever watched had any black on the screen. There are a bunch of things that I can do and have done to help, like lowering HUD opacity in destiny, and turning on the screen shift and setting some time outs. The TV also has a refresh mode that is supposed to have good success correcting issues. I guess we'll see, but so far I really like the screen.

Calling the difference between OLED and LCD negligible is bizarre to me. Like when people say they can't see a difference between retina and non-retina screens. I can't fathom being so inured to visual quality flaws.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread