4K stuff. (Off-Topic)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, January 15, 2018, 09:40 (2265 days ago) @ Cody Miller

As you're obviously aware, you don't need anything pricey for great visuals, as long as it has HDR. Most 4K TVs these days lump in "Smart TV' features just to bump up the price, when they're mostly useless.

Uh, the whole reason for a 4K TV is to see stuff in 4K. Good luck watching Netflix in 4K without the Netflix smart app.

You realize they make a bunch of set top boxes for stuff like that right? Apple TV and Roku and such?

…which is a bunch of extra money, and another thing you have to plug in and turn on. How do you plan to save money when the boxes that do the same thing are just as much if not more?

Which is exactly why it should be optional. You don't need that crap if you don't plan to be watching Netflix in 4K (remember that it's a separate plan now). I don't want a single "Smart TV" feature on our screen, but we don't really have much of a choice in today's market.

I still feel that 4K is one of those gimmicks that's here to stay, but since we've already got a PC and console that can take advantage of it, we might as well, but I don't want to pay for all of the optional features that I won't ever use.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread