Loved it. I have one critique. (Destiny)

by Robot Chickens, Thursday, April 26, 2018, 09:32 (2347 days ago) @ Kermit
edited by Robot Chickens, Thursday, April 26, 2018, 09:42

I thought the setting was intriguing and I was happy to see guardians doing things my character does in my head (gameplay shouldn't determine the possibilities of a world IMO).

My only critique came as I remembered Cody's edit of the end of Halo 4 where he cut out the Master Chief's portion of the dialogue. Less is more with a lot of the dialogue and I'd rather they go the "show, don't tell" route. Here's the scene we got:

"Guardians aren't supposed to investigate their past. That's the rule."
"But I'm not good with rules, not when there's this much at stake."
[Ana's eye implants are shown]
"The Clovis Bray tech in that building allowed us to colonize the system during the golden age."
[Zoom in on Ana's ID badge]

The second line is totally unnecessary. "But I'm not good with rules" is shown to us by the ID badge she's wearing later in the cut-scene. There's no need to have it called out in a way that feels really awkward when spoken. The other half of the second line ("not when there's this much at stake") isn't needed because the last line tells us about the tech and why there is so much at stake. If I were to redo this, I'd remove the second line and change the scenes to align with the dialogue.

"Guardians aren't supposed to investigate their past. That's the rule."
[Zoom in on Ana's ID badge]
"The Clovis Bray tech in that building allowed us to colonize the system during the golden age."
[Ana's eye implants are shown]

Anyways, it's a slight change, but I think it avoids the cheesiness of presentation.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread