I think it's another example of Bungie's flawed "fixes". (Destiny)

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Friday, June 01, 2018, 10:28 (2127 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I think they’re try to get folks to accept that you’ll never have every piece of gear. I can understand why some hate that, but I personally like that. I know that’s sort of hypocritical given the stances I normally take on gating content.

Hypocrite, shmypocrite. I hate saying this because of how people tend to use it; but you're entitled to your opinion/perspective.

In a way, this sort of caters to casual players too. Now I don’t feel like I’m missing out by running three characters with three different factions. It’s not really that different, as I assume most will still run three characters and completely knock out one faction per rally.

Bingle might be well served to just come out and say "the intent here is to create a more organic effect on the equipment of the player base; previously collect-them-all provided a flattening/endgame aspect to loot collection" or something. I think it's a subtle touch, and I absolutely believe that players shouldn't always get what they want. I appreciate it for what it is, even if its going to affect my experience in a way I'm not super excited about. The risk here though, is that there's an assumption that the game will stay popular. But I guess that's always the risk regardless.

I totally understand why folks wouldn’t like this, and logically I agree. But in my gut, I like this change.

Me too.

I wouldn’t want to be locked into a faction forever, but I’d like to see it get to a point where I feel okay really actually pledging to a faction and never deviating from that faction, rather than just treating it as a checklist full of gear. I don’t know how to accomplish that. Some sort of actual community goals for factions that have real game/story affects that we can see would be nice. (Cue Korny talking about Warframe or something).

Well, ostensibly that's their goal here. I'm excited to see how they'll continue to approach it. My only real beef is being forced out of my own headcanon regarding my Guardians' stories, which has become a much bigger deal to me than I expected.

My Hunter is a human FWC lifer; attempting to play the longest game there is.
My Titan is an Awoken Dead Orbit goth betch to the bone.
My Warlock is an Exo with a bit of an identity crisis; trying to (re?)learn humanity and seeking the boundaries of knowledge.

Their narratives that I've been building; telling my own story as intended since the birth of the IP are being forced by the structure of the Faction investment game. It seems all of my characters will need to pledge to the same faction for me to make the headway I want, in a way that sort of screws over the most delicate parts of my investment in the game.

It's pretty nit-picky, to be sure.

C'est la vie.

~M

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread