A Splinter of the Minds Eye (Off-Topic)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, July 04, 2018, 10:18 (2116 days ago) @ cheapLEY

It clearly resonates with a ton of people, hence the piece we’re discussing.

Yep. So did the "Bay-formers" (Transformers) sans the magnitude of cultural impact. That movie made so much money. I'll get back to this in a moment, but with Pacific Rim.

I don’t care enough to debate it anymore, especially point by point, but I still can’t fathom being so angry about it if I didn’t like it.

A splinter of the minds eye... how fitting. My first summation of this movie, as I recall and I still hold to was that it's a good movie, that isn't a good movie. That mismatch is maddning for many because they are unable to articulate what is "wrong". It just rubs the wrong way, and it's caused... a fair bit of madness. Or just mad, that too I suppose.

[image]

We're all looking for something in the films we watch, perhaps (eh~) it's part of the reason we have genre. I recall reading reviews for Pacific Rim, watching people state they didn't like the movie because the story was bad. Yet, Pacific Rim never going to be an A+ Story. It would be nice, but that's not what the story is there for. Pacific Rim is about watching Robots Vs Monsters smash into one another. That's it, criticizing it for a story that only exists to get the Robots and Monsters together is silly. The turn off you brain light as been turned on, and don't forget to buckle up.

Star Wars transcends this, sorta-kinda-work-with-me-here, as it is part of a rare cultural genre where it is a movie that went not only BIG, but people grew up with throughout there lives. I mean shoot, look at Halo. Ask Avateur what he feels about 343, it's the SAME THING.

It's all about what you came for, and your quality bar for it. I'd bet, if I wasn't such a sticker for story (among other things), I'd be right with the lot saying it's an enjoyable movie. Not that's it's better or as good as The Empire Strikes Back though. That shit is ba-naynays.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread