Alright. I'll give ya that. (Off-Topic)

by Avateur @, Wednesday, July 04, 2018, 19:53 (2115 days ago) @ cheapLEY

The closest thing to Star Wars for me is Harry Potter. It was my childhood, and, along with The Lord of the Rings, the thing that made me enjoy reading and storytelling. The newest piece of that universe is The Cursed Child, a play. I’ve never seen the play, but I read the published script (is that way you call the written play? I don’t know.), and I didn’t like it. I feel the way about that thing the same way many apparently do about The Last Jedi. I made the same arguments in my head that the author of this piece is criticizing. Like The Last Jedi, it might totally be good storytelling, but I just didn’t like it. The thing is, I read it, I hated it, and then I just forgot about it and moved on with my life. It didn’t “ruin my childhood,” it didn’t take away my enjoyment of Harry Potter. It was just a new thing I didn’t like and can safely ignore.

I've never read the books and have only seen the movies (and even then, I don't like 2, 3, or 6). When it comes to the play, especially since all you've read is a script, I suppose I have a few questions. And I'm not really searching for anything with these, just trying to get your thought process.

Do you think that's a fair way to judge the thing without seeing it performed? Does the fact that Rowling herself contributed impact your thoughts on it? Regardless of the first two questions, does this play have any major bearing on what came before in a way that retcons, undoes, or (in your own opinion) destroys what came before?

I have no idea what this play is. I literally just looked up the writers, and I didn't read a plot synopsis. I assume it's a prequel? There are also the Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them things (I haven't seen the movie, but apparently there's a sequel coming out sooner or later). Is Rowling invovled with those? I know Harry Potter people, and I can't say I've heard tales of tragedy and woe regarding canon being destroyed or characters being portrayed completely differently and illogically compared to what came before.

So, of course there's your own personality and way that you react to things that will surely differ from how others do. But I don't know if comparing whatever these Harry Potter things are (especially when still being contributed to by the original creator and author) to what has happened with Star Wars in VIII or (as Insane pointed out) to Halo really works.

Now if you wanna talk about the Hobbit movies, I view so much of those things as a waste of time and a cash grab with unnecessary fan fiction characters and events that don't add much to anything at all. But those movie adaptations do nothing to the original works of The Hobbit or The Lord of the Rings. Star Wars and Halo, on the other hand, are still doing a thing with pre-existing characters in ways that are apparently canon according to the overlords of the series. That's going to upset people. It may have been a slip-up, but Mark Hamill himself didn't really like what happened with Luke (because that's not what Luke or a Jedi would do).

For the record, I'm not saying I agree with Hamill at all here. I'm on record here as saying that I enjoyed VIII, but it's a mess. Halo, lol, you know (AMA!!). But because Star Wars and Halo are still "living and breathing" things (as you know, I say Halo is dead--I have heard numerous coworkers, friends, husbands/wives of friends say that Star Wars is dead to them after VIII), issues with canon, character, writing, overall story, and on and on are going to deeply impact people. I don't know if the Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings comparison really fits.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread