Am I seeing things that no one else is... saying? (Off-Topic)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, July 06, 2018, 14:17 (2120 days ago) @ INSANEdrive
edited by Cody Miller, Friday, July 06, 2018, 14:21

Here is the thing regarding editing and moviemaking: you can’t just think moment to moment, but you have to look at the big picture.

You’ve seen Spider-Man Homecoming right? There were two scenes with Vulture that were cut out. Scenes which were good. Scenes which deepened his character and motivations. So why were they cut?

The scenes took place between the fight with the ferry and when Peter picked up MJ for the dance. Basically, with those scenes gone, the reveal when Peter opens the door is much more shocking and impactful. Because without those scenes, the audience ‘forgets’ about Vulture. So to have him come back that way made everything much more tense and unexpected than if you’d just seen him the scene before.

Now I don’t remember what it cuts to after Luke asks where Han is, but I do remember Luke’s feelings about Han’s death not mattering that much in the scheme of things. And that scene is all of 16 seconds. It’s not really enough to really let it sink in, but too long that it stops the movie while it’s happening.

It’s on Netflix, so maybe I’ll watch it again with this in mind!

The point is, even good scenes get cut because the movie has to come first.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread