The Forsaken Grind (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, September 17, 2018, 10:40 (2019 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I'm 528 now and I think I've spent a similar amount of time. Personally, I'm annoyed because it's going to take so long for people to want to do the new raid since we're normal people around here, not streamers. I don't want to be locked out of fun activities. I think Bungie wants the grind to be long though and I don't think it's because they want everyone to spend the same amount of time the streamers spend each week in Destiny. I think they want the content to stretch out for the average person up until the next set of DLC comes out so people can't complain about running out of things to do. Personally, I don't think stretching the grind out is the right way to accomplish that.

I do think it's annoying it's going to be awhile to do the raid... but I'm also kinda okay with that. Honestly, I jump in to have fun and burning though the fun just to play the raid doesn't seem fun to me. I'm still very much enjoying all the content of Destiny. I'm sure once I slow down and still don't have the Light level to play the raid then maybe I'll change my mind.

The better way is to build enough content to keep people engaged and make sure what is there is fun to do more than once.

I agree! In an ideal world it would be great if there was more content, but content is the hardest and has the most cost out of anything they can do. Content takes a TON of hours to do. More hours or employees means more money and that has to fall on someone...

One might argue that the length of the grind should be based around the amount of content they have to work with. If you finish the campaign, and the only thing between that point and the raid is a patrol zone with a few unique little missions and a strike, then perhaps a player should be roughly raid-ready by the time they've seen and done everything the new zone has to offer.

True! But people approach content very differently. You might also argue that your statement is already true for some people. As I haven't explored all the content and I'm not raid ready yet I can't actually say that either is true or not! So maybe by the time I am raid ready I haven't completely explored the content up to the raid. Will people say that I grinded out content I've already done? Or will I still be enjoying the content I have? In my mind it's all relative to the person and the content.

So far, I honestly am not worried about a content drought while I'm leveling for the raid. This is because every time I hop in to level up, I am enjoying the content regardless of whether I've done it before or I've never seen it before. The only time I would be worried is if I was required to do the same boring thing over and over again. That to me is the definition of a grind.

Well said. I'm in the same place as you in terms of how much I'm enjoying the new content. At the same time, I have this feeling in my head something along the lines of "I'm ready for the next activity", but that activity (the raid) is a loooooooooong way out of my reach. I don't yet know how that will shake out over the next few weeks/months.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread