Mixed Feelings after Playing Demo (Off-Topic)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, January 29, 2019, 10:37 (1907 days ago) @ TheOmegaClown

The shooting feels clunky but I had a blast figuring out the best way to pilot each javelin and how to combo abilities with teammates to be super effective. Abilities can either "prime" or "detonate" targets. You need both to pull off a combo and depending on your class and the elements you use in the combo you'll get different results. This is a game where you are definitely stronger as a team, opposed to 4 individuals doing their own thing. This may turn off some people.

This is essentially Mass Effect 3's system, and one of the best things about the co-op. Figuring out how to synergize your abilities with your team is essential for higher-level play, so while it's a neat CC gimmick at lower levels, doing your own thing when things get rough can cost you, and hopefully will come into play when you approach the as-yet-unannounced endgame experience.

This is not a game that is about gunplay (guns are the least efficient method to kill anything). Is
It's closer to an action game then a shooter. Abilities are short cooldown (even ultimates) and the emphasis seems to be on using them effectively with your mech's build.

Yeah, Bioware seems to lean more on mobility and abilities in their games, while the gunplay is historically just serviceable (though they are capable of crafting some really fun guns).
The gunplay has looked lame and weak since the first gameplay video, and nothing seems to have improved over Andromeda. That said, maybe their Legendary or Exotic guns will behave in more interesting ways. In ME3, some of the N7-tier weapons are really fun on their own.

I liked the game. Was much more team oriented than d2, and the lack of pvp means they'll be free to do some crazy things on the pve side. It's just important to go in with the expectation that it's not a shooter in the mold of bungie games (which is a welcome relief, to me).

Yeah, I see a lot of Division-meets-Warframe comparisons online post-demo. Destiny comparisons are pretty much gone now.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread