It's shit. (Off-Topic)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, February 01, 2019, 20:30 (1910 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by Korny, Friday, February 01, 2019, 20:46

Nothing about it feels good, to be honest.

I'm glad I spent the $5 to get EA Access and try out the demo--now I know I can pass.

Maybe The Division 2 will be good.

I tried it for a couple of hours, and boy is it not a good time. The Novelty of taking off at any time wears off quickly once you start to Overheat constantly, and what's worse? In a game ostensibly about mobility and flight, you are grounded and locked into small enclosed areas thanks to a persistent "Return to battlefield" prompt, and a blinding smoke effect if you fly just slightly too high.

So now you're stuck in close proximity to enemies, but your melee has a cooldown(!). So you pull back to a map corner, and peek from cover to kill the enemies standing uselessly while their AI reboots, only to be knocked off the edge by an enemy AoE attack. Return to battlefield! So you make it back, only to be killed by enemy splash damage... And there you sit, watching the "Respawning" meter for minutes on end while your teammates peek from cover at the bullet sponge that downed you. And there's more waves spawning.

Fun.

Also, the thing that kills the game for me is that it is a 60+fps game trapped in a <30fps body. How do they fix the speed and lack of optimization? The motionest motion blur to ever mote. It's unacceptable. And here's the thing, in games like Red Dead 2, or Spider-Man, you eventually adapt to the blur, and it becomes imperceptible. Here, firing your gun? Motion blur. Turning around? Motion blur. That Heavy Javelin across the room from you fire his 100 round Nuke launcher? Motion blur and screen shake!
Are you casually walking in the town? You guessed it!

And the bugs and crashes and god-awful writing and dialogue...

Anyway, this moment was just the cherry on top of my time with the game:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread